Okay. So I checked out Rollyo.com, livemocha.com, and LibraryThing - I have to say that I had some fun with all three. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what Rollyo was and how it worked, but once I understood it I liked what I saw. I thought it was a nifty idea; it just seemed much more efficient not having to worry about all those unnecessary websites that come up when you do general search with google or yahoo. I'm not really sure how we would use this website, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did use Rollyo some how.
I set up an account with livemocha.com, but didn't start any of the classes, so I don't know how those work. However I'm looking forward to checking at least one of the classes out. I mean I really do need to brush up on my German and my Latin (which is surprisingly an option - my only concern is that it will be Church Latin and not Classical Latin). I was thinking about using Rosetta Stone to refine my German skills, but that software is expensive albeit highly effective. Hopefully livemocha can at least help me improve my basic language skills before I see my first-born child. I definately see a personal use for livemocha, but can't think of any use for the institute.
Out of the three I really enjoyed LibraryThing the most. It was really cool to be able to electronicly peruse the Society's collection without having to type in keywords. I definately see why we have a LibraryThing account. It provides a setting that lets a user casually view our stacks electronically, which is very good. In the past to look through library stacks you used keywords and could only view books under one subject at a time - which is very helpful when you're looking for something in particular. Yet if you wanted a more general sense of what a library held there was really no way to do that electronically. Its not always possible to physically go to a library, even if you live close by. There were books on subjects I assumed that the Society wouldn't carry and I really glad that I saw them there.
That's all for now I supposed. Now its on to week 5!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
YAY! So glad that you have checked out these sites. Couple of comments:
Livemocha has proved to be handy for those crafty archivists who need to translate letters. If you decide you want to purchase rosetta stone, let me know (I might be able to assist)
So glad you appreciate librarything!! Tech services will be delighted to hear that! They've put in a lot of time on it.
I really enjoy reading your posts! (apparently I'm exclamation point happy today, maybe because the day is almost over?)
Post a Comment